Sunday, July 14, 2013

On the Zimmerman Trial

So tonight you get another serious blog post, blogger world.

As anyone reading this who knows me can probably expect, my blog is inspired by the Zimmerman Trial, just as my friend Drew posted about. Before I get into it, I want to recommend you take a look at her blog because she discusses a really serious flaw in the "Stand Your Ground" law that exists in Florida, and since I can't explain it better myself definitely check it out. If you are not in the USA at all, follow this link if you want to know more about what's happening. 

I am very... Sad? Angry? Disheartened? Annoyed? A mix of these feelings in different proportions after George Zimmerman was acquitted last night on the counts he was put up on for the murder of Trayvon Martin.

I watched a good deal of the trial, and I completely understand. There wasn't enough proof to show that he purposefully murdered Trayvon. His saving grace was the idea that he was acting in selfdefense, which I think is a stretch.

I'm going to put it out there, I have no doubt in my mind that Zimmerman was racially profiling Trayvon. I think he used unnecessary and fatal force to kill an unarmed teenager. I think that just as Drew's post discusses, racism is inherent in our system-- it helps people like George Zimmerman who have the privilege to access its resources, but that access is not equal for everyone (Oh, lucky you, Georgie Boy, your dad is a white retired judge.)

BUT WHAT I REALLY WANT TO RANT ABOUT IS ALL OF THE STUPID FACEBOOK PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL LIKE "STOP PLAYING THE RACE CARD, ZIMMERMAN IS INNOCENT LET IT GO".

.....X_X

* Actually, my friend Luke said this as a comment on one of these stupid facebook posts and I want to just copy what he wrote because I think he said it well. I want to share it with whoever may read this.



Its really convenient for people who's access to rights  are not threatened and denied to act like injustice is not something that happens in our society, but its complete crap.

As my friend Allie said last night, this could essentially open the gates to modern day lynching, and I think she is right. You see a young boy who must be a threat since he looks suspicious (code word for "He's black"), and if no one is there to see it, you can provoke him into a scuffle and then shoot him.

This may sound like an oversimplification, but is it? Is this not exactly what happened to Trayvon Martin?

I don't know how to fix our system yet; I understand that the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" is essential to the freedom of our country.

But access to that freedom must be extended to everyone, and right now it is not (read Drew's post). Racial Profiling must be seriously addressed, and it has not been.  Things need to change-- socially and governmentally. Respect needs to be equal for everyone.

I've said this before, and I will say it again.

Second rate citizenship should not be an option-- for anyone.

We need to fix things.


No comments:

Post a Comment