Thursday, July 4, 2013

A blog post on the 4th of July! Can we say first amendment?

Man, what the heck do I write about on the Fourth of July?

I guess all I really want to say is that I am so grateful for the freedoms that I have and for the privileges that come along with being American.   

I mean Democracy is a pretty complicated thing.   Differences in race, religion, wealth, education, gender, sexuality,  and even just personal interests both strengthen and challenge the integrity of our constitution and the rights it represents each day.   As I think about the chalenges those in Egypt are facing right now in their quest for freedom and representation, I am humbled by the stability my nation has allowed me to grow up with.

That being said, as everyone is relaxing and eating their barbecued foods, I think its important to remember that freedom is something to fight for, and our fight here in the states is not over. 

Many Americans are not equally protected by our democracy as it currently stands. The example I want to bring up regards the Voting Rights Act, which has recently been struck down by SCOTUS, the repercussions of which are highlighted here on the Rachel Maddow Show as she discusses changes being made by the GOP in North Carolina.

Some of these are:
  • End Same Day Voter Registration
  • End Sunday Voting
  • End Early Voting
I think that the problems associated with these things can really be summed up with the question "Why are they trying to KEEP people from voting?" 

Basically Rachel discusses it best (once again, here). This is a way for a governing party to restrict the liberties of its constituents as a means to an end. It is also why SCOTUS voting down the Voting Rights Act is such a big deal.

So on that note, I am thankful for the freedom I do have, but I also will not take it for granted. If you're reading this today remember-- the fight is not over. Stay current with what is happening in our country, and stay passionate about what matters to you. 


2 comments:

  1. I posted about a similar topic - blog sister telepathy strikes again! But in all seriousness, I didn't know about what was going on in North Carolina at all, thanks for the enlightening post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! I feel like such a blog copycat now, but the thought is SO IMPORTANT, and it needs to be said!!! I love our blog telepathy because it proves that I spend my time with people who really give a shit about the same things I do.

    ReplyDelete