Monday, September 9, 2013

A "Food Blog" Post by a (Mostly) Non-Cook


As many of you know, I don't really cook. I don't have a history of being particularly good at it, and when I do make things, they typically come out edible- not particularly good, just edible. I spent an entire semester abroad eating mostly ramen, fruit, cheese and bread (thankfully I had the most caring host mother in the world who fed me real food throughout the week).

Now that I am living on my own, I feel the need to step up my game. I want to make sure I'm eating healthy- a girl can't live on ramen forever! This past summer my friend Amanda said "Its all about the vegetables." I am trying to take that message to heart, but I am a long way from really having a veggie-centric diet. For the most part I use chicken as my protein, but I am hoping to start cooking more fish. The DREAM is to make my veggies tasty enough to give some life to tofu, too, but lets be real. Baby steps.

Here are some of the meals I have made so far! I am pretty reliant on tomatoes, as you may observe, to ensure that my dishes have some nice taste and color. If anyone has some simple healthy veggie recipes please let me know!!

(No. Really. This post is actually a call for help- good, simple, vegetable heavy recipes!)

O Meu Restaurante!


Above is the dinner I made tonight! I sautéed some onion, tomato and kale, and mixed it with a pre-made (I do my best) masala sauce and some chopped up chicken. I also made quinoa for the first time! (In the microwave- voilà!) 



Onion, garlic, tomato and asparagus with chicken and feta. So, not too exciting, but tasty. 



Ah!  A little more creative! So for this guy above I  sautéed some onion, garlic, a cubanelle pepper, and a jalapeño, mixed in some black beans and tomato, and then added in chipotle sausage. Mmmmmm...


And now snacks... Which may or may not double as whole meals sometimes....


My mom hooked me up with the goods for this delicious treat my roommates and I shared! Fresh mozzarella from the Italian Deli, farmstand tomatoes, and basil from her garden drizzled with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Classic. Tasty. Perfection. 



And finally, the tried and true snack of champions. Strawberries, whipped cream and tea. Sometimes, you just have to treat yourself. 




 Most other nights I've been sticking to frozen veggies and simple proteins. 

So! Thats that. More courses to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment