Tuesday, August 13, 2013

When you wear a shirt to convocation.

Today's post may just be bits of random thought trails glued together so bear with me.

Today was convocation. No, not the nearly naked costumes and hearty house cheers of Smithies who love their houses, and, even more, their school. It was a long, dull, drawn out event that left me bored and tired. We listened to teachers talk, and an alum who basically told us to not have any fun for the next three years to prove our selves to field of law. So that was a drag and didn't help my Smith nostalgia, but on a high note, I think I am meeting some really nice people!!

I live in a huge apartment with three other girls, and they all seem like really cool and down to earth people. I think that it will be interesting to see what new friends we all will make and who will filter through our space throughout the year. We've been sticking together in a pack a little bit, and we've come across so many different people. Its hard to get past first impression-- people present themselves in such different ways, and I keep needing to check myself: all of these people worked hard and were accepted into this competitive school. (And on the other end of the stick, so did I so I need to avoid feeling intimidated.)

The thing I find weird about making a first impression is that I want to be friendly and talk to people since I'm not too afraid of doing so, but I don't want to come across as overeager. I'm just trying to take things slow, breath deep, and be myself. That has done pretty well for me in the past.

Also I am trying to keep it in the back of my mind that I don't need to build my social network all at once. If I don't find my new best friend (or perhaps my new love interest? Or lust interest?) on the first day, first year, or even at all during this experience its going to be ok. I just need to live my life happily. (repeat: I just need to live my life happily, I just need to live my life happily, I just...)

As a side note, I never realized how elitist student discounts are. Its total crap once you really think about it. In order to SAVE money, you need to spend the thousands of dollars it takes to be a student. So if you can't afford to go to college, tough luck, you cant save $3.00 at the movies or get 50% off shipping. Talk about keeping the marginalized in their place while advancing the dominant paradigm.

Finally, as promised, I will post some pictures of my room. I know this is a quick post, but today I am a tired girl.

My living room!! Nice and big for parties if I'm ever not studying.... (;-] )


Kitchen!!! Katie cooks will have to be a post on its own...


Below is a picture of the building across the street from me, which happens to be a State Detention Center. That's right, folks. I have a bird's eye view into jail-- I can even see prisoners moving in their cells at night. (Took changing in front of an open window to really realize that one.)


And, finally, me on my bed in front of my Faces. 


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment