Saturday, August 17, 2013

Moderately Questionable

Today I want to talk to you about moderation, but I am not really sure how to begin. 

First I guess I should look at myself before I start making some sweeping declarations. I will say straight up front that I am not exactly the most moderate person. When I feel things, I feel them big- the happiest happy, the saddest sad. I am not moderately myself. My personality is big, both in good and in bad ways. I am pretty moderate when it comes to my politics and opinions (...most of the time?), but this semester I am trying to find more balance. 

The reason I am thinking about all of this is because tonight at dinner with my friend Brad he was telling me that he hates feminists. Of course, I was not going to take that so I told him he was wrong, but when he explained himself I realized that he was not really talking about feminists. He was talking about extremists-- in this case fighting for the cause of feminism*

I myself think that hard hitting feminists are right in doing what they need to to gain equal access to rights, resources and privilege; however, this while conversation got me thinking about the Republican Party. And Dems, too. Extremism is everywhere in politics. And religion. And everything.

So.... tomorrow I will tell you more about my feels on politics because I think I want to post about the whole debate t.v. channel debacle.

But today I am going in a totally random direction so that I can tell you...drumroll... I am interested in a person at my school!! But I (obviously) Facebook stalked them, and they had some serious republican pages on their "like" list. I'm not just talking "The Republican Party"-- I'm saying every republican presidential candidate's page since G.W. Bush, FreedomWorks, and Conservative Politics. Whomp whomp whomp....

I don't identify as the most liberal person, but the idea of conservatism is really scary to me. The republican party has allowed so many of its conservative members to act in ways that are dangerous to and ignorant of several large demographics of people, women and minorities being the tip of the iceberg. In my head this conservatism is the farthest thing from necessary moderation.

I hardly know this person, so for all I know liking those pages could be a joke. Maybe they aren't but the person is actually moderate. Should it really matter to me what their political preferences are? 

I guess I shouldn't get carried away with myself. I will take it day by day.

Anyway, random ramblings of a wandering mind. G'night blog!


*No worries, folks, I did tell him the reason he can say he hates feminism is because he has the privileges associated with being a young white male and that it may be hard to understand. He totally agrees with me, and says he believes women should not be mistreated and should be completely equal.


No comments:

Post a Comment